Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Oh, Romeo...


No Breedists Allowed

If your are one of those people that judge a dog by its breed (instead of by its owner), please don't read this post, it will just make you mad, upset or something and I don't want to have to remove your comments from my blog. 
When we first go Sparkle she would bark at every dog that walked by. This would be an issue because we live in a neighborhood with a lot of dogs and we have a corner yard, so everyone walks by our backyard. I think this is becuase the place that she was staying before she came to me was a farm, so she wasn't used to the foot traffic. So with a little work she only barks at a couple of dogs, but in all fairness, they usually start it. When one of her "friends" walks by, if she's in the house she does bark her little head off; "let me out, let me out, I have to say hi.... Oh, it's my buddy, I have to say hi..." This happens on a daily basis with our neighbor's Malamute. They are the fence friends and will walk up and down the fence line. Then there is her "boyfriend", Romeo.  The picture is of her and Romeo. He is the cutest, most playful 10 year old Am. Staff I have ever met. His people live in the neighborhood about two blocks away. They were fence friends for months, then one day I invited Romeo and his person into the back yard; it was love at first chase. But poor Romeo is no match for Sparkles speed and agility. Try as he will, he can't catch her. But she loves to run and be chased and he loves to chase her. One time they were running and it looked like they were going to collide head on, but Sparkle just jumped right over him. i really wish i had video of that because just telling people about it doesn't give it justice for the spectacular sight that it was. She has "hops" that would put Michael Jordan to shame. There are bones and toys in the back yard, but they don't care, they only care about the chase. and then, when he's done and dog tired, they lay in the grass and wrestle. These picture are from this past spring. He's come over in the winter and wrestling in the snow doesn't go so well. If Sparkle is inside when Romeo walks by, Lord help my back door! These are two friends can not be kept apart.
Soap Box: I have know many dogs from the Bully family. I even rescued a deaf Am Staff brother and sister. Those two, the boy went to a home, whose youngest kid was deaf and the little girl became a therapy dog at the Children's Hospital in Portland. I have also trained many in the bully family these are some great dogs that get a bad wrap because of the people that own them. You can turn a poodle into a viscous dog 
too; it's just not as intimidating with those Pom Poms on their butts. Ok, off Soap Box.

Thanks for stopping by, and a shout out to my Australian Readers... Saw you on the report, G'day Mate!  





1 comment: